Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Terri Schiavo Fiasco

I know this is probably in poor taste, but I cannot wait until this is over. I had a hard time discerning just what side I was on throughout this tragedy. I am a Libertarian who swings way right on most matters, so I am usually on the GOP side. But on this one, I am on the fence. I hate to see news clips of this poor woman looking like a vegetable and I most certainly would not want to live in that physical state (for my loved ones, please keep this in mind if something like this ever happens to me), however I cannot see what is "humane" about letting this woman starve to death.

While I have an opinion on just about everything, this article by Richard Lowry helped make sense of it all. At least I can have an opinion on the sick opportunists that use this poor woman's tragedy to get their name in the press for the day.

2 Comments:

Blogger kcluva said...

rj ross,

Thank you for taking time to comment on my post. You (and Terri's husband) are 100% right, there is no happy ending here. Unfortunately, both sides are falling over each other to make bigger jerks of themselves! Take care!

kc

8:22 PM  
Blogger kcluva said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. Sorry I have taken so long to get back. I was away in the Dominican Republic for vacation.

I agree that it must be torture to lay in bed for years on end. That is why I would never want my family to keep me in that state. I would rather die, however, starving doesn't sound all that appealing. Inject me with something that I'll enjoy on my way out.

About your comment about Christianity, the influence of Christianity in today's government is quite different than the one in the 1930s that you cited. This one wanted her to live. The one you are referring to encourage euthanasia and/or suicide for people who could not perform at their optimal levels. In fact, they made propaganda movies about talented people who suffered paralyzing injuries and glorified the choice of suicide rather than be less than 100%.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home