Thursday, April 28, 2005

Informed on Social Security

Finally, a poll that shows what people think about Social Security choice once they are informed on the topic.

Unfortunately, the last thing the AARP and the Democrats want is people informed on reforming Social Security.

See this spectacle of the ignorant.

I remember years ago (1991, 1992?) seeing a poll in Fortune Magazine that said that people my age (at the time 18-24) were more likely to believe in UFOs than believing they will receive Social Security Benefits when they reach retirement. I couldn't believe it at the time, I am not the only one who felt this way! Unfortunately, not much has changed in the decade or so since that poll was taken. I still believe there is a higher probability of the existance of UFOs than the chance Social Security, in its current state, will be there when I turn 60.

To put it in simple terms, when Social Security was conceived, there were 16 workers supporting each retiree. Today, there are 2 workers supporting each beneficiary. Given the population trend (we are having less children), there will soon be less than 1, which makes the program unsustainable in its current form.

I could go on and on about age and population trends, but I promised myself to try not to sound like a lunatic and to try not to bore people with my opinions. I guess that's why I started this blog....it saves me from ranting in the bar in front of an audience of rolling eyes!! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home